Saturday, March 21, 2015

April showers quilt

I have a wrought iron quilt holder that holds a 12" square quilt block, and every month I change out the quilt for a monthly or seasonal one.  Since I didn't have one made for April,  I experimented with the Cricut Explore and cutting fabric.  The image is included in the Design Space subscription; it's from the Classroom - April & May cartridge.

The fabric was 100% cotton, with Heat 'n Bond Ultra ironed to the back.  The Heat 'n Bond side was placed on the regular grip Cricut mat, and the fabric was cut using the fabric setting on the dial.  The fabric cut really well; just a couple of little places where I had to snip a thread or two.  The hardest part was getting the fabric off that mat with the backing paper attached. There were a couple of places where the backing paper stuck to the mat. Next time, I'll use the Cricut spatula to help get the fabric off the mat.

 
After assembling and stitching the block, batting and backing together, I quilted around the image and then added a few silver sequin "raindrops" and added a little Rock Candy Distress Stickles and clear glitter to the blue raindrops, just for a little sparkle.  I'm entering this in the Die Cuttin' Divas Spring project challenge, and the Cut It Up challenge to make anything but a card, with a Spring theme.

1 comment:

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

Wow, this is AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing your Spring - Anything but a Card project with us at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com